Sunday, April 14, 2013

Breaking the seal

I finally played some live chess last night, playing in a 3 0 tournament on chess.com. Since I have been on such a prolonged break I think I was hesitant to jump back in, but last night I decided what the heck I need to start at some point.

I ended up in 4th place with a score of 4/7. My first game I flagged badly, which jumping into blitz I guess should be expected. Then I won 3 games in a row, blundered a piece away in a drawn endgame against the tournament winner, and flagged in a won endgame against the runner up. The most disappointing game was against the runner up. I had a winning position and even a mate at one point, but didn't see it. As far as openings went the other side deviated first, which is funny because my knowledge of openings suck. Overall though it was fun, and I was happy that I did it. Now to keep the blitz to a limited amount and to get in slow games.

 Below is the position I had in the final game that I should have converted easily.


 



 I was surprised at how well the live chess is working on chess.com, and the number of people on there, 8000+, dwarfs ICC and playchess. There are even titled players on there as well. I am curious to try chesscube as well and see how well that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment