Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mason - Tarrasch, Hamburg Chess Congress 1885

I played through another game from Tarrasch's 300 Games tonight (Game #65), playing solitaire chess while I did it. I took an extra point off if my move changed the evaluation of the position to the worse, for example from += to =, and I gave myself a bonus point and didn't count it wrong if my move evaluated better than Tarrasch's move. If the move evaluated pretty much equal to Tarrasch's move then I didn't count it as wrong as well. I seemed to be doing fairly well, starting off my game at move 9, but I hit what seemed like a rough patch on moves 33-38 though my wanting to play e3 on moves 36 and 37 seemed to evaluate much better than Tarrasch's selections. I did have a few spots though where my move swung the evaluation, with one case being my moving a rook to the square just vacated by Mason's bishop on move 42. I guess I could claim time pressure, but I completely spaced on the bishop. I gave myself 30 minutes, with a 1 minute increment. Other than the oversight on trying to play 42..Rd1, the one move that bothered me was not playing 15..N:e5. It seemed to me that white would be able hold onto that pawn. I didn't see him interposing the rook between the queen and pawn like that allowing me to pick up the pawn. Overall a fun game to play through.


Not a bad start after not looking at a board and pieces for close to a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment