Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Nigel Davies Blog and other tidbits

Speaking of GM Nigel Davies, I just found his chess blog today.

http://chessimprover.com/

It looks like he will be discussing lots of different things about improving your chess, so it should definitely be worth reading. As pointed out below I enjoyed his book 10 Great Ways to Get Better at Chess. My only wish was that there had been some more discussion of the 10 topics he covered, but then I'm not really sure what else could have been said as he made his points quite well.

I will be working on coming up with a pre-game ritual as he suggests. Interestingly, Andy Soltis' column in this month's Chess Life touches on that as well as training. I have been playing correspondence chess on the LSS server, but I need to view more as training for otb than I have been. That was my original intent, but I need to keep that as the focus for that work. It is just a method of training.

I also plan to follow his advice of choosing events, in particular the time control you choose. By his algorithm I should not be playing games faster than G/25 in order to improve. Actually G/25 is very fast for improvement and I should be looking to play much longer games, but that is the low end for time controls. No Blitz!!

I have been playing some blitz though against the cpu with it having a Scotch Game book containing lines for:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 e:d4 4.N:d4 and 4..N:d4 , 4..Nge7 , and 4..d5.

This corresponds to the 1st chapter of Vladimir Barsky's book The Scotch Game for White. The format of the book is interesting. It contains a quick repertoire section that gives a quick outline of the line, a step-by-step section that goes into the theory, and a complete game section that gives complete games in the line.

Another key area for improvement that GM Davies covers is improving your fitness level, and to that end I am working on running again, and looking to learn tai-chi.

I still manage to get my daily dose of tactics on chesstempo.com, and I have been working through Silman's Endgame Course which is another of the 10 areas that Nigel recommends working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment