Sunday, November 28, 2010

Threefold Repetition

I was playing through another Tarrasch game from the Hamburg Chess Congress of 1885, and noticed it had a threefold repetition in it, but play continued on. I thought that was interesting so I did a quick search on google and found out that the rule didn't really reach its present form until after the match between Steinitz and Zukertort. There had been rules for competitions where they discussed series of moves being repeated, not positions, such as at the London tournament in 1883 and the match between Steinitz and Zukertort in 1886. I have included the game below.





1 comment:

  1. Interesting....the other thing to remember is that a player has to claim the draw in all cases ( except stalemate ) even now. Its not automatic. That's caught me out at least once :(

    ReplyDelete